- This event has passed.
Black History Art & Essay Contest
January 27 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 8:00 am on Monday and Friday, repeating until February 28, 2023
The art and essay contest will run until 2/28/2023
PM A final ceremony will be held on 3/4th. Cash prizes for all winners.
Theme: Students are asked to select ONE of the following quotations below to start and write your essay:
1) “Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.” – Booker T. Washington
2) Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
3) “I am where I am because of the bridges that I crossed. Sojourner Truth was a bridge. Harriet Tubman was a bridge. Ida B. Wells was a bridge. Madame C. J. Walker was a bridge. Fannie Lou Hamer was a bridge.” – Oprah Winfrey
4) Never forget the power of practice – Stephen Curry
5) You can’t be afraid to fail – Lebron James
6) Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change we seek.- President Barack Obama
7) When they go low. We go high- First Lady Michelle Obama
8 ) My Mother had a saying. “You may be the first to do many things but make sure you’re not the last.” – Vice President Kamala Harris
Art Contest Theme: Black History-Art, Poetry and Inventions
Grades K-3-The Black History Month art contest is open to all Paterson, NJ students in grades K-3. Two winners will be selected (grades K-3)
Art and Essay Contest for Grades 4-12-The Black History Month essay contest is open to all Paterson, NJ students in grades 4 through 12.
Three winners will be selected: one elementary student (grades 4-5), one middle-school student (grades 6-8) and one high school (9-12) student.
1. All writers must be students in K-12th grade.
2. All entries become the property of InnerFaith Performing Arts Center, Inc., (IPAC) and entries will not be returned.
3. One entry per student.
4. Artwork: Student must submit original, two-dimensional artwork. Student artwork must be original, created by only the student.